Osprey Fortress Series No. 28 Forts of the American Frontier 1820-91 Central and Northern Plains. Text by Ron Field illustrated by Adam Hook. © 2005 Osprey Publishing Ltd. ISBN 1 84176 775 1
64 page paperback book including colour plates, contemporary monochrome photographs and diagrams. Contents include:
- Introduction with map
- Development of the forts on the central and northern plains (fur trade and supply forts)
- The types of military forts (open forts, stockade forts, stonebuilt forts, adobe and brick built forts)
- The principal elements of defence.
- Life in a frontier fort
- The forts at war (The Dakota War 1862, Indian Raids 1864, Camp Rankin 1865, Fort Buford 1866-67, Red Clouds War 1866-68, Attack on Fort McKeen 1872, Sioux War 1876-79, Wounded Knee Campaign 1890-91)
- The fate of the Plains forts
- The forts today
The cover and page edges have some very minor scuffs and marks. The binding is secure and all internal content is virtually as new.